5am is not a natural time to be awake.

At least, not for me.

But I feel better today than I did on Tuesday. I think doing the 5:30am class consistently, instead of switching back and forth between evening and morning, will work out better for my body.

That doesn’t mean I have to like it.

So. Up at 5am, out the door at 5:20 and walking to Crossfit, arriving by 5:25. Hardly any time to worry about the box jumps…

AMRAP in 10 min
– 5 Pull ups
– 10 Burpee Box jumps

Since the box attacked me last week, I’ve been dreading the next time box jumps were on the WOD. And now, here they were, not just box jumps, but burpee box jumps. At least it was only 10 reps at a time, right?

But the warm ups came first, a new torture device wherein we air squatted to a song, standing up when we heard the word “up” and squatting down when we heard the word “down.” And we had to stay down until we heard the “up” again. That was to prepare us for the skill set of 10 back squats.

It was supposed to be at 1 and 3/4 body weight. I am so not there, but I did try. I did 95 pounds and thought I could do more, so I added another 20. Down for the test rep, and – I couldn’t make myself stand. I didn’t know what to do with the weight of the bar on my back, so I ducked my head and let it roll off in front of me.


I was lucky it only clipped my head and didn’t mess with my neck. After the crash of the weights drew the trainer’s attention, I was informed that the proper way to respond to that situation is to let the weights go off your back – not your front. I wasn’t hurt, but I did get a few tears in my eyes from the embarrassment. And I stuck with 95 pounds for the reps, which I did in 3 sets (4, 3, 3).

Then it was time to meet the box again. I brought one out, because I knew I would at least need it for my band-assisted pull ups, but I wasn’t sure if I should try jumping when the bruise on my shin was still healing. I mean, it still hurts enough that it brought me to tears when my husband accidentally squeezed it yesterday. So I consulted the trainer and she told me to do step ups instead of jumps.

But I still had to do burpees, so it wasn’t like it was that much of a break.

It took me a little over half the time to do 3 rounds, so I pushed myself to go faster and managed to finish 6 plus 5 reps in the 10 minutes.

Around minute 8, I felt like I was getting an asthma attack. My breathing felt extra-labored and my chest felt tight. I powered through, because I knew I could, and because I knew the cause. There was a dog in the gym, and, unfortunately, that gets my allergies going. It was irritating to feel like I was having an asthma attack, but it was also good to prove to myself that I can push past it.

Then I collapsed for an extra long interval at the end, to make up for it.

After Tuesday, I felt exhausted all day long. So far today, I’m not feeling that bone deep tiredness. Just a normal, got up early and worked hard, kind of tired. I’ll do it again tomorrow, and I’m looking forward to Saturday when I get to sleep in til 7am!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *