I’m thinking that I’m going to have to fire my copy editor…

Well, not fire really since he works for free 🙂

In all seriousness, now that we have the physical copies of the books, Ambrose has been giving them a read and he’s already found typos. As much as I prefer to review the electronic version instead of waiting for a proof copy to get printed and shipped, I think I’m going to have to go back to ordering a proof because both Ambrose and I are better at catching printed mistakes.

I’m going to make corrections to the published books as soon as he’s done with his review and I won’t do any announcements until that’s complete. Plus, I’ll make some manual corrections on the copies that I’ve already received before they get sent out to family.

I don’t know why, but this time around I really wanted to publish before 2020. I’ve ended up publishing in January before, but I prefer when I can get things done in December. Which means I need to make adjustments to my process, because there’s no reason I couldn’t have been ready to publish at the end of November. I just needed to manage my time a little better in September and October, if not throughout the summer.

It’s kind of hard to believe that I’ve been putting out the Hike with Me books since 2014 (which was actually one of the years I published in January, so it’s more like since 2013). I don’t sell a lot of books, but they are out there, and I have sold some. It’s a long game. The books are a lot of work, but it’s work that I enjoy. It seems like every year I discover some new trick in the image software that I use to make things simpler to do or cooler to look at.

I don’t plan on stopping any time soon – but I’ll be investing a bit more money in proof copies in the future.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *